Sunday, April 3, 2011

Finally finished

So, after Sterling and I moved to Bradenton, we decided we needed an end table in the living room. We went to Walmart to check out some end tables that might fit in the budget. I was surprised when they were up close to $100 and still made out of a cardboard, wood-like material. I decided I could buy the supplies and make my own for that much, and we'd get a solid wood table....and I'd get a saw! Can't argue with that! I had a specific design in mind, as we are shorter on space than in our last place. I wanted a table that I could store stuff, but have it hidden as well. I designed the table so that the top opens and I can place books, etc. inside. I drew my plans, made measurements, and got the materials. I think I spent a little more overall than what we would've for a WalMart table, but I think it was well worth it! I started this venture sometime around November, and well, just finished today...in April.






Ta da!


It actually works! I was pretty excited about that.

I found these cool hinges to add a nice look. (okay...I think Sterling found them, but they're great!)


And I added a bottom shelf with some molding to finish off the edges!

6 comments:

  1. Wow that is so cool that you made this! How clever to put hinges on the top. I love the color too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I am just realizing that I am the only sibling who has not made my own beautiful piece of furniture...hmmm... I did make curtains once...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow- a hidden talent I didn't know you had. You'll appreciate this table alot more and won't want to get rid of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome job! Photography, videos, glass beads, pendants and now furniture. You are good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so coll! I'm very impressed with your woodworking skills. Way to go Jewls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia, wow, you are a woman of many talents. so nice to catch up with what's going on in your life!

    ReplyDelete