Thursday, February 16, 2012

Jury Duty

I got this from the judge!

I got selected as a juror! So, I got my thing in the mail for jury duty, and figured I'd be out by noon. I always just get sent home after a few hours. Not this time. They called back about 55 of us, and took ALL day to pick 7 jurors!...of which I was 1! Pretty crazy! It was a sad case, 5 counts of sexual battery on a child under 12 (actually it was more, but he was only tried for 5). It was interesting to see how the system worked though, and take part in justice. In a criminal case to prove the defendant guilty, the evidence must prove it beyond any reasonable doubt. It definitely was. After the verdict was read (guilty on all 5 counts) they let us come back and watch the sentencing. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole for EACH count (consecutively)! The whole thing was pretty crazy, but I came home feeling very patriotic. Not that I'd want to do it again soon, but it was a cool experience.

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool! David was called to jury duty a while back and really wanted to actually participate, but ended up always being sent home early each day. Glad that you could be part of the justice for this child/children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEHEHEHEHHE!!!! yeah Julia! Prosecutors RULE!

    ReplyDelete