Thursday, July 24, 2014

Detroit

"I think there's only one place more dangerous than Baltimore...Detroit." - Sterling

That was when we were still in Baltimore, so it didn't make me too excited to spend a month in Detroit.  I will have to say, it has turned out quite splendidly.  =)  We had originally arranged for an extended stay hotel (not so splendid), but found an apartment last minute from another med student.  It was the last month of his lease (we thought he was on rotations too), and we would just sublease it for the final month.  Turns out he moved to start a residency, so what we thought was a furnished apartment, turned into an unfurnished apartment.  Nonetheless, it was not a shared basement with roommates (like Philly), or an extended stay hotel.  And it was located in a safe neighborhood (based on a recommendation from a colleague of Sterling's).  So we took it!  We looked into renting furniture (mainly a bed), but we arrived on Saturday and wouldn't get a bed for at least a few days.  So we purchased an air mattress (a nice-ish one) and after a couple of days on it, decided we'd just man it out for the month.  We got a cheap table and chairs, and have been set!

I was pretty excited to have a pool in our complex (it is July) and imagined us poolside during our 4 week stay.  Wrong. It has been stinkin' cold here!  We are leaving Saturday for Erie, PA and we've used the pool twice.  And the water is like one of those cold springs that you have to work up the courage to jump into.  It's freezing!



The Riverfront.  Apparently it's been quite the reconstruction from Ghetto to really nice.  And it is, in fact, very nice.




This kid loves his sunglasses, haha.  My favorite part is watching him push them back up when they slide down.  I'm sure it's just one of those mom things that seems insignificant to anyone else.  =)


How I got dinner made one night.  Since the pool water is like ice, the sink will have to do!


4th of July - We made chipwhiches.  Which might turn into a staple at every holiday! Yum




Breakfast - everyone only got one star pancake.  I guess I'm only part Pinterest worthy...I didn't have the patience for more. haha


We went to a fun little parade nearby




Then we went out to dinner with some friends.  We ate Indian food (we were really celebrating America, right?), which I had never had before.  It was pretty good, and surprisingly Cohen really liked it too!  Then we went to fireworks.  We weren't sure how Cohen would respond, but he was glued!  At the end he clapped with everyone and loved all of it.  What a great 4th of July, and what a great country we live in!  I am so grateful to live in America with all of the opportunities it provides us; it really is quite the blessing.




No comments:

Post a Comment