Saturday, August 30, 2014

Eerie

I know....there's only one "e" on the front, but I'm just not sure why someone would name their town Erie.  Just sayin'.  Moving on, we did enjoy ourself in Erie, but it was probably a little lower on the list than our previous stops.  The rent, however, was perfect (by that I mean cheap).  We were living in an attic.  Yep, an attic. Good thing that polar vortex was still at it, or we would have broiled!  It was much larger than we had anticipated, which was nice, and it had a bathtub!  I was prepping myself for bathing Cohen in the cooler again.  It did have a window AC unit, but we're convinced it was to cool something the size of a small closet.  Also, we put Cohen in that room so that he could sleep better.  We purchased a small fan to try to keep us cool.  It really wasn't bad, but poor Sterling couldn't stand upright except in the very middle of the attic; for everything else (cooking, showering, brushing teeth, etc) he was hunched over.  So, when the four weeks were up, we were ready to move on.
We did make a couple stops on our way over from Detroit. The Kirtland Temple, Newell K. Whitney store, etc.



Our bathtub! Yea!


Since it was chilly and often rainy, we found a play area in a nearby mall.  One of Cohen's favorite things ever is to "daw-a-daw" (drive a car).


We also hit up story times...lots of them!  There was a library nearby that had story time on Tuesday, and Chik-fil-A had story time on Wednesday!  Score!

This is an alien hat we made for craft one day.


And a butterfly magnet


I was pretty excited about our last Chik-fil-A story time.  We The kids were making lemonade...their super yummy lemonade!  They had two groups, and one group colored an apron and chef's hat while the other group made lemonade and then they swapped.  Cohen had an instant dislike for the apron, but he wore the hat long enough for me to get a picture.  We squeezed the lemons and added water and sugar and voila!  After trying to keep Cohen from drinking the pure lemon juice several times, I decided I'd let him drink it and learn his lesson.  So, he took a nice big gulp, and just looked up at me like NBD.  Seriously?!  That was it?!  Maybe that's what I get. haha. 
 A little boy brought little cupcakes for everyone, and Cohen, having recently learned the skill of licking an ice-cream cone, thought it should be treated as such.  


There was a big park nearby on the water and it was next to this giant field.  Perfect for running...and chasing seagulls.


"The Beach".  It was Lake Erie.  Cohen called the sand "dirt" and I couldn't really argue, but it was still pretty.  There were tons of rocks, but they were nice and smooth and Cohen loved it.  It was also nice because the water (if you dare get in it...it was freezing!) didn't leave that stickiness like the saltwater does. We made several trips here.






Cohen's first ice-cream cone.  It was a hit!


Yes, please!  24 hours? I have always been one to try to follow directions.  =) 




The "bedroom"

I also found free pontoon boat rides!  We got there at 11:00 when it was scheduled to leave (it said first come, first serve).  Turns out you have to sign up...at 10:00, but you should be early for that too.  So we came back the next day at 9:30 and got the last two seats!  Whew!

I wondered how Cohen would do with the life jacket, but he was just fine!


And what's the next best thing to driving a car? Driving a boat!  One of the volunteers opened it early, and let us on so Cohen could "drive" the boat, and she took pictures for us!  So nice!  He loved it!



The Cohen building.  (It says Cohen on the front)

The stairs leading to our attic.

This is the first flight...


....and the second.



Taking a break while we load up to leave.


Next stop, Tennessee!


1 comment:

  1. what a fun way to explore all of these cities... especially with such a cute little partner in crime! hope you enjoy tennessee, we sure enjoyed testing the bbq there :)

    ReplyDelete